Saturday, September 21, 2019

Summer Festivals and Farmers Markets


Farmer’s Markets and Community Festivals

This summer marks the 30th year since I first worked a Farmer’s Market. It was the Waverly Market in north Baltimore. I also occasionally worked the Garrison Heights Market and the Downtown Baltimore Market. All together I put in about 10 years of part-time weekend work all for Reid’s Orchards out of Gettysburg, PA.

I enjoyed Farmer’s Markets before I ever worked one and would stop to visit everyone I saw. I took mental notes about each of them. For many years this phenomena was limited but sometime around 15 years ago when food became trendy and inspirational even, there was a boom in these (mostly) outdoor events. They also began to deteriorate in quality and comfort. Trendy New Age products began taking up more space and noise at their booths.

There are still many very good markets and far more tepid affairs and even a few that are remarkable in their paucity of goods and the physical conditions in which they prevail. In 2019 I thought to make it a study of every market I could reasonably get to in order to rate them.

I also determined to go to as many community fairs that I could largely for the same rating purposes. So the following paragraphs are about the markets and fairs I have visited since the spring. I’ll still go to autumn and winter events as I come across them. I will do my best to cite my own prejudices in the ratings.

The first farmer’s market of the year was in the late winter while in San Francisco. I reported it in a previous blog so won’t detail it again here. The earliest local one opened in late March in Vancouver. This one continues until late October and is located downtown in Esther Short Park and is a Saturday and Sunday event.


Vancouver Market


I really enjoy the location as it is at the fringe of a park and there is plenty of shade. The aisles are wide and nearly accommodate the dogs which are welcome. They are welcome by people who are not me. People bring their exotic and large show dogs and their little screaming tea cup dogs. They have no business at crowded markets but owners need to preen with the presentation and pretentiousness of their pets.

There is also live music played that ranges from teen-aged violinists busking with open cases for donations, to orchestras playing big band music.

I also have noticed for years that there is a different sense of decorum at markets. People have less consciousness of their own actions as they relate to others also present. So conversations start with parties stopping in the middle of walkways despite the road block created. Typically people do not step out of the paths of other shoppers. Phrases like “excuse me” are rare even when the act is overtly rude. Notwithstanding, these sorts of behaviors are acceptable at markets.

The Vancouver Market has lots of great qualities. It is about the right size for a community like this one. The prices are competitive and with the produce ample enough. There are several local ranchers with frozen example of their wares just as there are fish vendors. The costs are significantly higher than one would pay in a grocery store. The sales wedge is that they are local and grain fed (meats) and occasionally organic. The seafood is overwhelmingly one form of salmon or another and also quite expensive.

There are also specialty meat and fish products such as custom sausages and dried fishes which are also expensive but much harder to come by. Unfortunately there is an overabundance of junk stuff. New age panaceas, beard trimming, pet treats, weird art and personal hobby horses.

There is a lot of hot food available and I am underwhelmed by the quality though I do enjoy the tamales at one stand. There is a lot of teriyaki (if you care for cloying and sticky chicken), barbeque (too pricey for a paper plate) absolutely wretched deep fried food. I gave my fish and chips to a homeless person after a few bites of overcooked white something fish. There is candy corn and undoubtedly corn dogs since they are ubiquitous everywhere in America. They are teemingly available and incomprehensible as a food product.

Lastly there are exotic canned or otherwise processed goods like black garlic and pizza pie dough for those who want to pay money for such. At the Vancouver Market the good outweighs the bad significantly and I am a regular habitué.

Vancouver and Clark County host a number other markets. The Eastside Market on Thursdays is located in the parking lot in a high tech/medical area. It is a sparse market with a couple of hot food vendors and a coffee/sandwich truck. I did buy some honey from an apiarist. It is pretty tiny market. I saw many leaving with bags of food for their lunch which I suspect is the prime buying source. It only exists as a market because markets are hip these days.


Eastern Vancouver Market


Less regular an event is the 4th Plain Market which I think is once a month. Unfortunately there is nothing aesthetically appealing about a market located in a barren and gravel parking lot. That way all produce is dusty when displayed. I went on a cool and overcast afternoon so the weather was not as oppressive as most summer afternoons would be on a dusty parking lot. Fortunately the produce had not yet wilted in the sun and there was not much there to wilt in the first place.

The vendor’s booths were placed fairly widely so as to take all of the allotted space. This provided an aura of bleakness. This particular market has no business being in business and for the life of me I do not know who might find that a half an hour in this barren and desolate environment was pleasing.


4th Plain Market


Portland has a very large Market on the grounds of the University of Portland and it is year round thus reminding me of Baltimore’s Waverly Market. I don’t know how old it is but I suspect it is one of those original city markets that started up 40-50 years ago. Since it is so large it does provide many booths of Oregon and southern Washington produce. Some of it exotic tomatoes or peppers and others more standard. Vendors hype the “organic” when they can and of course all remind the shopper that they are local growers. This should go without saying for all Farmer’s Markets.
There are also lots of meats-all frozen and costly. There are also processed meats and fishes like dried salmon or beef jerky. Hard sausages are very popular out here and that may be a national trend.
Since it is large there is plenty of room for all of the new age things like aromatics, teas or soap products and local wines are tasted throughout the market. For a hot prepared food I had pierogis which were excellent and I have had slice of pizza cooked on the spot in a brick oven during a separate visit.

I don’t go to Portland’s market very often-two or three times per year but I always enjoy it. I only this year became aware that it is a year round event and so can remember that on any dry warmish Saturday during the winter that there is a market to visit. I won’t get fresh local produce during the off season though.


Portland Market


While visiting Detroit this past June I ventured into the Redford Market. I found it as a wretched affair that is at least a few years old. It is indoors in an auditorium like room with waxed vinyl floors and some sort of a dais. It is a municipal building for the town of Redford. There is a smattering of specialty booths vending wares that I have no interest in. It is sparse and lit by incandescent tube lighting giving everything a bluish tint.

Amongst edible items was a handful of tomatoes and limp greens. There were probably jams and I say that because all Farmers Markets have jams. I make an a priori decision to say that there must have been one there as well. I bought a .6 ounce container of Aleppo Pepper that was probably by William since the label identifies it as being from William’s Garden. The contents solidified nearly immediately so that when I go to use it I have to take a sharp object and pry off a small portion and then separate it between my thumb and fore finger. That was the best product that they sold.


Photo of Redford


Camas is a small old town about 10 miles east of where I live. It is a pleasant little town which reminds me of similar ones in New England. They have a weekly market during the summer which is small and well attended but not for serious produce shopping. That which they sell is probably good but from my perspective, not worth the drive. It is clear to me that it is a meeting point for local people. It was not an unpleasant experience but one that is hardly worth mentioning.



Salmon Creek and Denver/Kenton

The Salmon Creek Market entertains the employees at a largish medical complex a few miles north of Vancouver. It is a small number of tables located on a small plaza in front of one of the buildings. It is open one weekday for the summer months. I could not find free parking suggesting that it really is designed for medical staff on lunch break. I see from experience during the last few years that this sort of Market is common around medical centers. They mostly cater to lunch fair and generally have limited and not very appealing produce. People so not shop for grocery type food while on lunch break or from unshaded booths where the produce becomes unappetizing. However I did not get out of my car and walk through this one as I could find no free parking.

The last “new” Farmers Market that I visited was in the Denver/Kenton of north Portland. I don’t know how long it has been serving this community but it was a pleasant enough venue. It is located on a shaded street but is quite small. There were maybe 10 booths and at least one of them was an insurance company. The bane of every community event is the plethora of businesses that land booths and obstruct market customers. I’m not happy with non-profits or government agencies having spots but am particularly vexed by private industry sticking their noses into the fray. I don’t come to a produce market to have home siding, insurance agents or credit union representatives hawking their wares to me. At any rate the produce that I saw there looked good and varied so that one could elect to buy one of several peppers for instance.

Well the main Vancouver Market remains open for another month, the main Portland one is year round so I’ll still go to Farmer’s Markets but my quest of making analytical tours of them is complete.
Festivals


It seems that there are more festivals in Clark County alone than there were viewed in all of the episodes of Gilmore Girls or Midsommer Murders. I went to quite a few this summer and appreciated none save for the very last one I attended in mid-September.

For about 4 or 5 Wednesdays every summer there is a live music concert at noon in Esther Short Park which is quite a pleasant park with a large pavilion and very poor acoustics. It is not simply difficult to hear from any distance but it is in the flyway of Portland’s airport-PDX. There is the local small aircraft and historical airport-Pearson Field only about a mile away. Lastly there is an Air Force base in northern Oregon, perhaps it is associated with PDX. At any rate there are a lot of low flying aircraft from Cessnas to passenger airliners and military fighter jets soaring overhead continually. It makes for listening to live music pretty cumbersome.

Based on my two visits this season, the extra noise drowned out music that was not worth staying to listen to anyway. The first week was a group of middle aged to older women singing traditional gospel music in traditional ways. Americans who may have never gone to a church still are familiar with the songs like “Turn your radio on” and they are familiar with the necessity of the nasal twang and the banjo accompaniment.

The second one I attended featured a young man and woman singing folk songs that they may have written themselves for at least they were not old standards. However thematically they were old standards. They were all about love, being footloose and fond memories. It was simply a trite performance.

There is also a small Farmer’s Market attached to the event and the wares of the worst sort. Hot food from vendors was not too bad though.

On the good side however the park is a nice place to bring a lunch from one of the local food trucks or restaurants or eateries and sit on a bench and dine. Young parents bring their children who are urged to dance for their elders and are compliant with those demands. Everybody has a good time. This includes me. Despite the roaring engines, vibrating speakers and dull music, on both occasions it was a beautiful day. Sitting in a park for lunch just is not a bad thing to do.


Wednesday concert photos


In July the town of Washougal held an annual Tamale Festival one hot and sunny Saturday in July. The local media said apologetically, that last year, they did not plan well enough and tamales ran dry early. The festival organizers were determined not to let that happen in 2019.

The plaza in the small downtown area (about 15 miles east of Vancouver) was big enough for the crowd and maybe the tamales were great but I only saw two vendors. They were serving very long lines and each had a menu that was essentially identical to the other. People waiting for their food did it on asphalt and with no sun protection. Seating provided very little respite as most spots were totally exposed. A band played music. Fortunately there was no entry fee. I only stayed for 5 or so minutes before retreating to a small neighborhood bar for a beer.


Tamale Festival


All of Clark County and perhaps all of America, people are obsessed with old cars. Vancouver has what they call the “Annual Cruise the Couve” which includes many old cars. Some drive along Main Street in a parade and others flank each side of the street like parked sentries. I used to enjoy these events when I stumbled upon them. I still enjoy and admire the occasional antique car but have grown quite weary of the event. However this trip down memory lane is free and along the route I use to go to the Farmer’s Market so it is not a burden in any way and maybe I’ll see some curiosity that I was unprepared for.


Antique Car


My apartment at Mission Hills has an annual event for the residents. The first year that I went in 2017 it was very small. I don’t remember how the music was provided and the grilled hamburgers and hot dogs were sustainable fare and free so they were not eschewed. The next year was quite a bit bigger and in 2019 it was fairly huge. It included those giant air filled places for kids to play recklessly. Later in the show they held contests for adults which were essentially races through the various obstacles on one of these air filled creations.

The music was mostly salsa and two different men gave salsa dancing lessons on the main plaza. I brought a chair and sat with some apartment dwelling friends under the shade of tall trees. We all enjoyed the afternoon and like the best festivals, it was free.


Mission photo


One day on my way to someplace else early one Sunday, I saw canopies and booths being erected along Park Street in downtown Portland. I walked over to the event when it was in full bloom when my first event was over. I found it was the Rose Neighborhood Art Fair. It was pretty packed with both vendors and customers (or simply tourists). It was extremely eclectic having some (in my own plebian understanding) some pretty good art mostly of nature scenes and deteriorated along the lines of abstract art, anime type stylings and “found” art.

Judging from the crowd size and vendor interaction, it appeared to be a popular annual event. I did not take a camera with me since I was not anticipating stumbling unto it and even forgot my cell phone at home so my only records are from my memory.

At the end of August is the annual Hawthorne Street Fair. This year it was on a hot Sunday. It reminded me of the Ann Arbor Art Fair that I attended religiously for many years. Likewise the Baltimore’s Artscape. I used to really enjoy squirming through crowds of equally overheated and usually young people meandering between music venues and eating all sorts of things that I can no longer imagine eating.

I’ve grown too old for enjoying this young person’s sport but appreciate why others do. This year I was helping to man a booth for the “Freedom from Religion” group handing out literature about preserving the boundaries between religion and the public sphere.   
I also came across the Northwest Taco Festival near the downtown Vancouver library. It was not open when I tripped upon it but I had no interest in waiting for the bell for entry. I suppose it could be said that I like tacos and tamales as much as the next guy but I actually have no idea how much the next likes those foods.


Taco Festival


On September 14 while on my way to the Farmer’s Market I stumbled on the Peace and Freedom Festival which apparently is an annual event. It was the first time I had seen it and it likely was the most valuable of the many festivals I found myself in during the summer. It did have the bank and insurance company booths but it had much more. I met at length with a few groups who had booths including the ACLU, the Veterans for Peace and the Human Services Council. The latter for its avenues towards volunteerism. The two former ones for their public action.

The festival had an overwhelming number of liberal churches and auxiliary groups but theology is largely responsible for the necessity of festivals like this one and is unlikely to provide resolutions to the problems it has fostered. There were also as one my expect plenty of new age and alternative lifestyles booths but those are not to be taken seriously by anyone examining issues like hate crimes or loss of human dignity.

Festivals are events of joy. They celebrate historic events, current life, harvests and perhaps local specialties. Historically they have been created for unique populations like ethnicity or by regions. They gather people together for conviviality and support. So even poor festivals or markets have their raison de etre.

No comments: